MMCA Residency Changdong, run by the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea, is now receiving applications for the International Artists Residency Program 2016.
■ Application period: 2 September ~ 8 October, 2015(Online application is available from 14 September)
Application Deadline: 18:00 in Korean time 8 October, 2015
■ Genre: Visual Arts
■ Residency term: please choose only one term
- 1st term: 13 January ~ 7 April, 2016 (1 artist)
- 2nd term: 14 April ~ 22 June, 2016 (1 artist)
- 3rd term: 6 July ~ 21 September, 2016 (1 artist)
- 4th term: 28 September ~ 14 December, 2016 (1 artist)
■ Venue: MMCA Residency Changdong (Seoul, Korea)
■ Nationality: All regions of the world (except Korea)
- Artist who is over 25 years old.
* Only individual artist, not duo or team. Work partner, assistant, spouse and family member are allowed for a day visit only.
- Artist who has not previously participated in a residency program at MMCA Residency (Changdong/ Goyang).
- Proficiency in English is required
* If you are working based in Netherlands, please consider applying for the Mondriaan Fund Fellowship Program 2016
■ Benefits for selected artists
- Private studio with accommodation space included (free of charge)
- Opportunities for exhibitions at residency gallery
- Professional Advising, seminars and cultural excursions
- Allowance: KRW 1,000,000(USD 900) per month (total KRW 3,000,000 for full 3months resident artists)
* Amount of allowance is subject to change based on one’s resident period
■ Artists’ responsibilities
- Materials needed for work
- Health and casualty insurance
* Selected artists should submit a copy of insurance to MMCA Residency Changdong. Artists can be rejected without insurance
- Round-trip airfare, meals, living expenses
■ How to Apply : postal mail or online
● Postal mail: Send a CD or DVD containing digital files of all materials via mail to the address below by traceable mailing method (arrived by 8 October, 2015)
- Please include all materials in one CD or DVD (within 50MB) and make two folders (1. Documents and 2. Portfolios) in the CD
- Submitted application materials will not be returned
- Send to: MMCA Residency Changdong
257 Deongneung-ro, Dobong-gu, Seoul, Korea (post code: 01469)
● Online: mmca.go.kr (setting English) - Log-in - Residency - Application - Apply
- Only Windows operating system available
- All attached files can be uploaded up to 50MB
- Submitted application materials will be removed after the selection of artists
- Online application system will be closed at 18:00 in Korean time, 8 October, 2015. We request applicants to apply in advance to avoid any possible errors or problems caused by the overflowing applicant crowd near the deadline. Failure to meet the deadline is unacceptable under any circumstances.
1. Application form (only for postal mail) attached on the page 3.
2. CV or résumé (only for postal mail) including exhibitions, projects, residency, awards and education experiences (no more than 2 pages).
3. Portfolio :
- Up to 10 works in the form of digital files (image in .jpg, .pdf format/ video or sound in .avi, .mp4 format).
- For video or sound works, the duration of each file should be within 5min. Link to the website is not acceptable.
4. Artist statement including description of portfolio works (title, year, medium, size, and 2~3 sentences of brief description)
5. Preplan including the anticipated outcome during the residency period
6. Letter of Recommendation
- .pdf format
- Contact information of the recommender (email, phone) should be included
- The letter must be signed by the recommender
■ Selecting and notification process
1. Reviewing all applications
2. Notification of selected applicants (finalists) in the middle of November, 2015
3. Interviewing (online, English) finalists in the end of November, 2015
4. Notification of the final selection in the beginning of December, 2015
* Notification will be posted on the MMCA website
Please visit our website at www.mmca.go.kr (“Residency” menu) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than October, 2015.