MMCA Residency International
Research Fellowship Program 2017
Residency, run by the National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Korea (MMCA),
launches an International Research Fellowship Program for curators, critics,
and researchers. This research program aims to provide a sustainable platform to
developing global networks and facilitate collaborative programming among art professionals.
Application Period: Monday, 5 September ~ Friday, 30 September, 2016
(Online application is available
from Monday, 12 September)
* Application Deadline: 18:00 in Korean time, Friday, 30 September, 2016
Residency Period: please choose one term only
- 1st term: 3 March - 18
May, 2017 (1 researcher)
- 2nd term: 13 April - 22
June, 2017 (1 researcher)
- 3rd term: 4 July - 13
September, 2017 (1 researcher)
- 4th term: 20 September
- 7 December, 2017 (1 researcher)
Number of Researchers: 1 researcher for each period/ 4 researchers in total
* If the jury does not find
suitable candidates, MMCA Residency may not fulfill the total number of researchers.
Venue: MMCA Residency Changdong (257 Deongneung-ro, Dobong-gu, Seoul, Republic
All regions of the world (except Korea)
- Asian art in the 2nd half of the
- Contemporary Asian artists
- Curators, critics, or researchers
who work in the related fields of Asian modern and contemporary art
- Who have 5 years or more of experience
in his/her own area
- Who have not previously
participated in a residency program of MMCA Residency (Changdong/ Goyang)
- Who are fluent in English
* Work partners, assistants, and
family members are not allowed to stay at the residency together.
- Private studio with accommodation
included (free of charge)
- Monthly Grant: KRW 1,000,000(approx.
USD 890) per month for living costs (total KRW 3,000,000 for the full residency
* The grant will be transferred
directly to the participant's Korean bank account every month and the total
amount is subject to change based on one’s residency
- Meeting artists and art professionals
- Access to the residency's
facilities and resources
- Round-trip airfare, meals, transportation,
- Work materials
- Travel and Medical insurance
* Selected researchers should submit
a copy of insurance certificate to MMCA Residency Changdong. Researchers can be
rejected without insurance.
- Presentation or workshop to share
the results of research
- Final research paper before the
presentation at the end of the fellowship
- Participation in the programs,
activities, events organized by MMCA Residency
Facilities: Private Studio (46~60㎡)
with Accommodation (furnished with a single bed, table, wardrobe, and other basic
furnitures), Gallery Ⅰ(132㎡),
Shared Toilet & Shower Room, Kitchen, Community Room, Outdoor Working Zone (191㎡) *
Wireless Internet is available.
How to Apply: postal mail or online
Postal Mail: Send a CD or DVD containing digital files of all materials via
mail to the address below by traceable mailing method
* It must arrive at MMCA Residency
Changdong no later than Friday, 30 September, 2016.
- Please include all materials in
one CD or DVD
- Send to: MMCA
Residency Changdong 257
Deongneung-ro, Dobong-gu, Seoul, Republic of Korea (postal code: 01469)
* Submitted applications will not
Online: mmca.go.kr (English Page) – Log-in – Residency – Application – Apply
- Online application system will be
closed at 18:00 in Korean time, on Friday, 30 September, 2016. We request
applicants to apply in advance to avoid any possible errors or problems caused
by the overflowing applicant crowd near the deadline. Failure to meet the
deadline is unacceptable under any circumstances.
Application Form (only for postal mail) attached on the page 3.
CV or Résumé
Portfolio: Thesis, research papers, exhibition experiences, etc.
- Up to 10 works in the form of
digital files (image in .jpg, .pdf format/ document in .pdf format).
Cover Letter (800 words max.) and Research Proposal (1,000 words max.) including
the anticipated outcome during the residency period
Two Letters of Recommendation
- PDF format
- Contact information of the
recommender (email, phone) should be included
- The letter must be signed by the
* Please do not include your
personal information (e-mail/website address, phone number, date of birth,
etc.) and any hyperlinks in the attached files.
Selection and Notification Process
Review of all applications
Notification of the shortlist at the beginning of November, 2016
Interview (online, English) of selected applicants on the shortlist at the end of
Notification of the final selection at the beginning of December, 2016
result will be posted on the MMCA website.
visit our website at www.mmca.go.kr
(“Residency” menu) or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
no later than 30 September, 2016.